hig.sePublications
Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard-cite-them-right
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • sv-SE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • de-DE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Applicability and potential of wave power in China
University of Gävle, Faculty of Engineering and Sustainable Development, Department of Building, Energy and Environmental Engineering.
2010 (English)Independent thesis Advanced level (degree of Master (One Year)), 15 credits / 22,5 HE creditsStudent thesis
Abstract [en]

Wave power is renewable energy which is environmentally friendly. Unlike most of renewable energy resources, wave energy can produce power all the year. The wave energy is stored in the ocean worldwide and highly concentrated near the ocean surface. It can be captured by wave power devices. Wave power is considered as a competitive energy resource in future.

 

Waves are generated by wind blows across the surface of sea. Wave energy is one kind of mechanical energy which will be used for electricity generation. Wave power can’t be used directly to generate electricity; at first the wave energy is converted into the other form of useful mechanical energy and then converted into electricity. Wave power has a high potential to be captured and used for generating electricity in future as the technology develops further.

 

Wave energy has been used since 1890s. There is a lot of energy stored in waves. 94% energy of the ocean stored in the wave, and the other 6% is tidal energy.  Only small a part of the wave power is used for commercial electricity generation today.

 

The China is a developing country with a very large population which annually consume about 3073TWh electricity of which 496TWh is from renewable energy.  The wave power was less than 1GWh in 2007 (reference from International Energy Agency). The World Energy Council has measured the total useful power of the ocean wave energy to be more than 2TW in the world and corresponding to 6000TWh per year. There is about 70GW useful wave power resources in China, equivalent to an annual useful wave power resource of 200TWh.

 

The lowest capital cost for the wave power system is today around 0.1Euro/kWh. China will in the future focus on the development electricity generation by wave power. There will be hundreds of new wave power plant built in China during the next twenty years, and the total installed capacity will be larger than 1GW at 2030, which delivers 3TWh annually. This corresponds to less than 1 percent of the total use of electricity in China.

 

This thesis focuses on the functionality, efficiency and economic pay-off of existing ocean wave power systems, as well as how easy the ocean wave power can produce electricity. Firstly it discusses the physical concepts of wave power, and then focus on the existing wave power systems around the world. It is concluded from the Chinese sea characteristics and the designed conditions of different wave power systems, that the Pelamis and Oyster wave power converters are the best suitable systems for China.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2010. , p. 39
Keywords [en]
renewable energy, wave power, efficiency, oscillating water column
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:hig:diva-7151Archive number: TEX 100824OAI: oai:DiVA.org:hig-7151DiVA, id: diva2:327695
Presentation
2010-06-16, 11:215, University of Gävle, 15:00 (English)
Uppsok
Technology
Supervisors
Examiners
Available from: 2010-07-01 Created: 2010-06-30 Last updated: 2010-07-01Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

fulltext(1979 kB)2769 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT01.pdfFile size 1979 kBChecksum SHA-512
686f6e39840e32a092f1135878829deee495a6df3f4b8ce2a5fb338283aad91152b00ee05e731ad56431531819373d1dd6051ba3caff09f1136e00eee426f79f
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

By organisation
Department of Building, Energy and Environmental Engineering

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 2769 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

urn-nbn

Altmetric score

urn-nbn
Total: 670 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard-cite-them-right
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • sv-SE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • de-DE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf